Sujanpur Tihra' is a town and a Municipal council in Hamirpur district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
Sujanpur is located at 31.83°N 76.50°E. It has an average elevation of 562 metres (1,844 feet).
Climate varies all through from hot summer to cold winter. Being on the banks of Beas River, the winter is quite severe. The temperature vary from 38 Deg. Celsius in summers to almost zero Deg. Celsius in winters. Winters experience low-lying clouds which add to the cold weather and one can enjoy walking amidst the clouds.
Sujanpur Tira is well-connected to all the major towns of Himachal Pradesh and of the country in all the directions through road network. It is at stone throw to Hamirpur (25 km), Palampur (35 km) and about 120 km from Dharamshala. Today over 200 buses cross this town to connect various other cities, villages and towns besides regular taxis. The nearest railway station is Maranda (near Palampur) where narrow gauge runs up to Pathankot on one side and Jogindernagar to the other. On one side it is connected to Una-Nangal by road, the other side it is connected towards Kangra, Pathankot; To Mandi-Manali and Ladakh and one side to Shimla. Its geographical locations connect this town with almost every direction through web of tarred road network.
About three decades ago, Sainik School was inaugurated in Sujanpur Tira which is located in the green ground in middle of the town. This has increased the importance of the town.
Tira Sujanpur is also called Sujanpur Tira or Sujanpur Tihra located on the bank of River Beas. It is a beautiful town inhabited by Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch who was the King of Kangra and later shifted from Kangra to Sujanpur Tira after the war with Muslim kings who wanted to capture Kangra fort. Maharaja Sansar Chand constructed his palaces, temples and courts (called Baradari) on the peak of hillock called Tira overlooking Sujanpur's famous Chaugan, hence the name of the town is Sujanpur Tira. In the middle of this beautiful town there is one square kilometer green ground popularly called in Pahari language 'Chaugan' (which remains green throughout the year). Now part of the ground is occupied by the Sanik School. The ground is a meeting place for most of the town people, ladies, men, children for evening walk and for playing all types of games. Most famous Holi fair also takes place on this ground which lasts almost 2 and 3 weeks during the month of March.
Temples of Sujanpur Tira Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch built large palaces and temples. Some of the temples are a piece of great architecture and Kangra paintings. Murlimanohar ( now known as Bansiwala) temple stands on the left side of the ground (Chowgan); Narvadeshwar temple dedicated to Shiva- Parvti Is full of great paintings inside the walls overlooking the bank of river Beas. It is surrounded by 8 ft high wall with passage all around. Another temple is Thakardwara not to speak of smaller temples. The temples were built 1790 AD and 1823 AD by Maharani Pransani Devi-Suketi Rani of Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch. Maharaja Sansar Chand also built Chamunda Devi temple within the premises of the palace which still exists.The people of Sujanpurtira are very religious-minded and are the staunch believer of Indian Gods