Pali is a city in Rajasthan state of western India. It is the administrative headquarters of Pali District and comes in the Marwar region. It is situated on the bank of the river Bandi and is 70 km south east of Jodhpur. It is known as "The Industrial City".
Pali (formerly known as Pallika and Palli) was a trade centre. In the 11th century AD, Pali was ruled by the Guhilas of Mewar. In the 12th century it became a part of the Nadol kingdom and was ruled by the Chauhans. In 1153 AD it was ruled by solanki or Chalukya Kumarapala and his feudatory Vahadadeva. Then it came under possession of Songara Chauhans of Jalore.
The Rathor dynsasty chronicles relate that Siyaji or Sheoji, grandson of Chandra, the last Gahadvala Rathore king of Kannauj, came to Marwar on a pilgrimage to Dwarka in Gujarat, and on halting at the town of Pali he and his followers settled there to protect the Brahmin community from the raids of marauding bands. His devali with the inscription of 1273 AD was discovered 21 km north west of Pali. Champavatas Rathores ruled Pali until 1761 AD when it became part of Jodhpur state.
Rao Chanda, tenth in succession from Siyaji Rathore, finally wrested control of Marwar from the Pratiharas. His brother's son and successor, Rao Jodha, moved the capital to the city of Jodhpur, which he founded in 1459. Pali remained a part of the Marwar kingdom until 1949, when the last ruling Maharaja acceded to newly independent India. The oldest temple in Pali is the temple of Somanatha. Maharana Pratap was born in Pali. His birthplace is known as dhanmandi pali Maharan Pratap's Statue inograted on 4 June 2011 By District Collector Mr. Neeraj Kumar Pawan.
Luxury tents have always been an important part of Rajput lifestyle. Constant campaigns in far flung lands meant long stays in tents under inhospitable conditions.Read More